BEFORE YOU NOMINATE:
• Is the book “in the margins” due to being self, independently or small press published?
• Is the voice authentic? Unique? Saying something or telling a story “in the margins”?
• Is there action and/or does the text move along quickly?
• Have you observed teens “in the margins” picking the book up and reading it? Do you have positive teen feedback?
• Is the cover eye catching and gritty with appeal to teen reluctant readers “in the margins”?
• Is the text easy and comfortable to read and on the larger size?
• If the book is more than 250 pages does it fit so many of our priorities that it should be considered?
• If the book is from a major publisher, is an award winner, starred review or known author is it so authentic and accurate that it needs to be included on our list?
• Is the book accurately depicting those “in the margins” of society?
Note: it is expected that books making our list may not be edited well and may not be up to standard major publishing fare, due to our primary considerations above.
Finally, is the pub date in our time frame within the correct perimeters? June previous year – December the next year, as follows:
- 2018 award nominee pub date = June 2017 – December 2018
- 2019 award nominee pub date = June 2018 – December 2019
- 2020 award nominee pub date = June 2019 – December 2020
- 2021 award nominee pub date = June 2020 – December 2021
- 2022 award nominee pub date = June 2021 – December 2022
- …and so on..
Once you have made sure all priorities for submitting a title are met, click here to go to the online nomination form.